Joseph B. Harvey
1212 North Eastman Road
Kingsport, TN 37664
Phone: (423) 378-8854
Labor and Employment Attorney
- University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, 2001, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Juris Doctorate, 2004, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Member of the University of Tennessee Law Review (2002-04)
- Tennessee State Courts
- Georgia State Courts
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Labor and Employment
- Traditional Labor Law
- Employment Litigation
- Noncompete and Trade Secret Litigation and Counseling
- Legal Compliance and Employee Relations Training
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
Mr. Harvey represents and advises employers in a broad range of labor and employment matters arising under state and federal law including issues under the National Labor Relations Act, Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX), Worker Adjustment and Retraining Act (WARN), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), Equal Pay Act (EPA), HIPAA, Drug Free Workplace Act, Tennessee Human Rights Act, and other state and federal laws regulating the employment relationship. Mr. Harvey has successfully represented management in traditional labor law matters, including union avoidance, union organizing and decertification campaigns, collective bargaining, arbitration, and unfair labor practice proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board. Additionally, he has successfully defended employers in employment litigation in federal and state courts, including defense of claims of employment discrimination, harassment, retaliation, whistleblower, employment-related tort actions, and/or wrongful discharge. Mr. Harvey's practice includes review, enforcement, and defense actions related to non-competition agreements, trade secrets, and employment contracts, and restrictive covenants. Mr. Harvey regularly provides management training in proactive strategies for positive employee relations, and litigation and union avoidance. Mr. Harvey creates and reviews employee Handbooks for legal compliance and practical application. Mr. Harvey advises employers, in-house counsel, and human resources professionals regarding application of state and federal labor and employment laws to day-to-day operations.
He practiced labor and employment law in Atlanta, Georgia from 2004 to 2009. He is licensed to practice in Tennessee and Georgia.
He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Georgia Bar Association, Kingsport Bar Association, and the Labor and Employment Law Section of the American Bar Association.
He has presented and written for numerous publications and audiences.
Born in Kingsport, Tennessee, Mr. Harvey currently resides in Kingsport, Tennessee, with his wife and son.